Friday, December 7, 2007

2007

Dear 2007,

Oh what a year you’ve been! I know we’ve had a love/hate relationship, but we made it through and I think we are stronger for it.

We started out the year so happy and perky. Remember that day one of my co-workers told me I was the happiest person he had ever seen at work? Oh, that was a wonderful day. I was so happy at that job and loved the people I was working with. Yet, there was always that nagging feeling that I wasn’t being challenged and that the experience probably wouldn’t last long. Oh, if I knew then what I know now, how things would have changed.

You brought me my second nephew, 2007. I love that little guy so much! And I love his chubby legs. I remember the day M was born. My brother called me at work to tell me that the baby had come, that he was healthy, and mom was doing great. Oh, and the baby had a full head of dark hair! That never happens in our family! As soon as I could I rushed to the hospital to meet my newest nephew. I held him in my arms and was overwhelmed with love. He was so beautiful! I turned to my brother and asked how old M was. He said, “6 hours.” I just sat there, staring at this beautiful infant and was amazed to realize that just 6 hours before he was with our Heavenly Father. April 24, was a wonderful day.

We made it through grad school, 2007! Believe me, there were times when I didn’t think we were going to make it. Like that time in 2006 when I had two of my hardest classes, trying to keep up with the homework, and going through one of my toughest times at work. I didn’t think we were going to make it! But we did. The feeling of walking off campus, knowing I was completely finished with my master’s degree, was one of the best feelings I’ve ever experienced. I felt so free, so alive, and so proud! When I walked across the stage June 2 and was “hooded” I felt overwhelmed with gratitude for the opportunity I had been given.

In the summer, things started to change at work. For the first time in over a year, I dreaded going to the office. I was so miserable! I cursed you, 2007, for putting me in that dark, dreary office with the most annoying people on the face of the earth! And to top it off, you brought me the hottest summer on record. The heat was scourging, I thought I would melt the second I stepped outside, and thoughts of cold, snowy days filled my mind with relief (and you know me, 2007, I do not like the snow).

Finally, the fall time came and I took a long anticipated vacation. I went to England, Scotland, and Ireland with my dear friend from BYU. We had such a great time. We basked in the history of a great nation, experienced new and exciting food (remember that grilled artichoke salad), and relished in the diverse and amazing cultures we found ourselves immersed in. That trip was incredible and one I won’t soon forget! So many pictures, so many conversations, so many memories…thank you 2007 for my trip abroad.

It wasn’t long after I returned home from my vacation that I found myself in the absolute worst situation at work. I was at a low point, feeling like I had failed, and at the mercy of my boss. October 10, one day after my year mark, I lost my job. I was devastated! How could this have happened? How did I let this happen? Why was this happening to me? I questioned everything and spent a good couple of days just being angry.

And then, 2007, you showed me the blessings behind this trial that had been thrust upon me. It didn’t take long at all for me to recognize the incredible love my Heavenly Father has for me. It was His mercy, His love, and His guidance that helped me through this rough time. I was only out of work for 2 weeks before the first job offer came in. What an incredible blessing! One I still don’t feel worthy of.

I realize now, why the trial of losing my job was necessary. Now, I’m challenged; now I’m using my master’s degree; now my talents are recognized. For the first time in my professional career, I feel like I can make a difference. It’s so funny how I had to experience that terrible pain in order to feel the immense happiness.

And now, as you come to an end 2007, I find myself so grateful for the past 12 months we’ve had together. We’ve laughed and we’ve cried. We’ve watched our friends take different paths and moved in new directions. Through it all, we’ve grown stronger and better. I look forward to meeting your brother, 2008, and telling him about all of our memories. Never forget me, 2007. Because I’ll never forget you. It’s been one heck of a ride!

Love,

Jen

2 comments:

Angie said...

I started crying when I read this post! What is up with that! You are an amazing person and I love you.

Zachary said...

That really was an awesome post. Thank you for sharing.

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...