Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Heroes

I’ve been thinking a lot of about heroes lately. Thinking about those who we look up to, those who are role models for our children, and those who set the standards for the future generation. In this media-crazed world, it’s easy to see the Paris Hiltons, Lindsay Lohans, and others of celebrity fame. But are the examples these type of people are setting really what we, as a country, should be celebrating, writing stories about, and spending our energy learning more about?

On the news last night, I heard a story that inspired me to take a look the types of “heroes” I have in my life. Utah Jazz player, Derek Fisher, was given an early leave from his contract…a move which caused him to lose $21 million the Jazz would owe him if he completed his contract. The reason? Not his ego, not an opportunity to play for a better team or to make more money. Derek Fisher wanted out of his contract so he could spend time with his infant daughter who has a rare form of eye cancer.

When I first heard this story, I thought, “what a good man.” But the more I thought about it, the more I realized just how uncommon his actions are. I know very few people in this world that would give up $21 million. And he gave up this money for his family. In my opinion, Derek Fisher has got it right. He knows that after this life, money doesn’t mean a thing. When all the world fails you, when your teammates let you down, when you’re injured and can’t play basketball anymore, all you have left is your family. What courage and dedication it must have taken him to make this decision. And yet, I’m willing to say that it may have been one of the easiest decisions he’s ever made. It’s obvious to me that Derek Fisher is a man with a big heart and unconditional love for his family.

It’s the Derek Fisher’s in this world that we need more of. Forget buying Paris Hilton’s trash on eBay; who cares when Lindsay Lohan gets out of rehab; and honestly, I don’t want to hear another story about crazy Britany Spears! If these beautiful, talented women would have had a Derek Fisher in their lives, maybe their circumstances would have turned out differently. Instead of trashing their health, their careers, their talents, maybe they would be leading normal, healthy lives. And maybe, just maybe, I could get through one day without hearing about poor Paris Hilton and her horrible stay in jail. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll hear more stories like Derek Fisher’s in the future.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...