Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Getting to the airport

Our pickup from the hotel was coming at 6:30 a.m. Our flight left Gatwick at 9:15 a.m. Considering it took us an hour to get from the airport when we arrived and I knew there would be long security lines, I was very nervous about our flight. Turns out I had every right to be nervous.

Our shuttle showed up right on time, but before the driver took our group to the airport, he made 3 more stops in the city. It was now 7:00 a.m. Next thing I know, the driver dropped us off at Victoria Station and told us the easiest way to get to Gatwick was on the train. He said trains left every 15 minutes and then the ride was only 30 minutes from there. OK, sounds easy enough. We got on our train at 7:10, only to find out that the train wouldn’t actually leave until 7:30. Estimated time of arrival at the airport 8:00 a.m.

The train finally left the station. I soon realized that express train meant anything but express. We were moving along at the slowest pace possible. Finally, at 8:15 a.m. we arrived at the airport. One hour until our flight to JFK was to leave.

We got out of the train car and were immediately met by a crowd of people. Running and pulling 50 pounds of luggage, Kelly and I went to the nearest exit. The elevators were way too crowded, so we hauled our luggage up the stairs. At this point, I was really wishing my suitcase weighed just a few pounds less. And my pants were falling off because I had forgotten my belt. Not a good thing.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...