Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Scarred for Life

I have a scar on my upper lip. Sometimes it's really noticeable and other times you can't even see it. I don't know why that is, but it's true. I was looking at some pictures when I noticed my scar.

Most people don't like scars. I admit, I'm one of those people. But this scar I like and here's why.
My brother is 5 years older than me. That's a pretty big age difference in siblings, especially when there isn't another child in between. Apparently, I really liked my big brother. When I was 2 and he was 7, I liked to carry his picture around and say, "My Ninny, my Ninny." I carried a picture around that was in a metal frame (this was the 70s, so of course a metal frame makes sense) when I tripped and cut my lip on the frame. I had to have stitches. To my knowledge, this is the only time I've ever had stitches.
I now have a scar representing this small, rather insignificant, event in my life. But I really like this scar because it reminds me of my brother. This scar reminds me that families are forever, that they will always be there for me, and that we love each other. It also reminds me to be kinder, gentler, and more loving. It reminds me to slow down and appreciate the simple things in life and to remember that it all comes down to loving and caring for each other. And the scar reminds me of my big brother. He's still my big brother, even though we are adults now. He's taught me a lot in my life (although, I'm not sure he even realizes this). He's taught me to never pre-judge another person, to love unconditionally, to see past physical apperance and to appreciate the soul. He's taught me to be kind, to love others, and how to serve.
So today, as I look at the scar on my upper lip, I still say, "My Ninny, my Ninny."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well he's my Ninny now for all eternity. ;) I'm glad he taught you all those lessons.

I have scars on my left hand from falling under the merry-go-round while it was still going twice. A scar on the back on right leg from tendon surgery and used to have scars by my swimsuit line from another surgery. Just some of the battle scars of life.

Anonymous said...

I hope your brother will throw me a rope and let me tag along when
it comes to making it to the celestial kindom. He has so many Christ-like characteristics. If he doesn't make it to the celestial kingdom, then the rest of us don't stand a chance.

Lori said...

What a sweet story and reminder of what is important. I am glad you have a Ninny.

I need to be more tolerant of some of my siblings. It is just hard when I am one of the responsible ones...

Family! Yah gotta love'em. As you can tell I have had a rough week so far when it comes to a couple of brothers of mine.

Super Daysh said...

That's really sweet. I never noticed your scar, but now I'm going to have to look closer... tee hee hee. ;)

mo12miller@gmail.com said...

I love stories like that. Big Brothers are awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...