Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Answer to the Age-Old Question

The other day I found myself sitting with a group of people, most of whom were complete strangers to me. I was being asked all sorts of interesting questions and coming up with some pretty creative answers, if I do say so myself. One particular question was this, “What is your favorite movie?” I know we’ve all been asked that question a million and one times in our lives. My answer is always the same: Dead Poets Society.


I know what you’re thinking? “I thought your favorite movie was Pride & Prejudice?” Pride & Prejudice is quite possibly my favorite book (nothing beats Lizzy and Darcy) and the BBC version is an excellent movie. But my all-time favorite is Dead Poets Society.


Have you seen it? It’s a wonderful mix of drama, comedy, inspiration, and motivation. Robin Williams is brilliant! I first saw the movie when I was in the 7th grade at the Payson Huish theater. I remember thinking, “I like this movie.” I was inspired to do more with my life than what was expected of me. I was determined, at 12-years-old, to become a “somebody” and to make a difference in the lives of others.


I’m still on that quest to make a difference and to really make something out of my life. You know, it’s likely going to be a life-long process. Thinking about my life and my personality, I’m certain this will be a life-long process. I may never be satisfied in this earthly life. However, I do believe I’m influencing lives…and in a positive way. That really makes me happy. I want to do more and be better, who doesn’t, but I’m doing the very best with what I have at this very moment.


Whenever I watch Dead Poets Society, the exact feelings I felt that day in the 7th grade sitting next to my best friend Desi still come up. I am still inspired. I am still motivated. I am still moved. Now, all these years later, I realize it’s quite a sad movie. I didn’t understand the sadness when I was younger, but I can relate now. It’s a classic destined to stay in my collection for the rest of my life.


If you find yourself looking for some inspiration, to be inspired, or longing for more out of life, I highly recommend sitting down and watching Dead Poets Society…whether for the first time or the hundredth time. And to you I say, “Carpe Diem!”

2 comments:

Lori said...

yes- it is a great movie. but it is sad too for sure.

Anonymous said...

Reading what you write inspires others to become a better person.

Maybe on one of your posts you should let others know about all the service you give to your fellowman on a daily basis. Or, maybe you should just pat yourself on the back, and say, "wow, I truly try to live the way I should". Thanks for all you do!

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...