Friday, November 12, 2010

It's Called Compromise

I'd like to share a little bit with you today about a concept called compromise. I believe in any successful relationship (family, romantic, friends, work) you have to have a little give and take. You make compromises for other people to make them happy and they in turn make compromises for you.

Let's say I really want to go out to dinner tonight. But there's a Jazz game on. So, let's make a compromise. We'll go to dinner first and then watch the Jazz game at home. Sounds reasonable, right?

Well, last night I made the ultimate compromise. Any one who knows me well knows that I am deathly afraid of dogs. I've never liked dogs, been afraid of them my entire life (thanks mom), and will avoid dogs at any cost. One day when I was training for a 5K race (don't laugh) we had a little encounter with a huge dog. I was sure we were going to die that day.

And then, just a couple of days ago, I was at my friend's house and her little yapper dog decided he wanted to take up residence in my lap. I was a little nervous, but I was very brave. But once the dog wanted me to tickle him with my feet, I had to put an end to this little love affair.

So back to yesterday. I've been seeing man-friend for almost 6 months now (really? Sheez, time goes by way too fast). Man-friend has a rather large Yellow Lab. Now I know what you're thinking...Labs are very friendly dogs. And yes, they are. However, this particular dog is barely a year old. So while he looks like an older dog (did I mention that he's huge) he's still a puppy and likes to jump and lick...a lot.

Man-friend knows I'm not a dog fan. For the most part, he's been very patient, but I know that my lack of affection for dogs was bothering him. So I bit the bullet last night. And I went to Man-friend's house. And I spent time with the dog.

That dog, for some odd reason, decided to like me. A lot. He jumped all the way up on me and gave me a kiss...on my face (gross). Then, decided he wanted to play fetch with me. I sat down on the couch, dog sat next to me. I got up and went towards the door, dog followed. Dog ate a bone and had the stinkiest dog breath ever, and came over right in front of my face. All night long, the dog was right where I was. Man-friend says he's never seen the dog act quite like that. Should I be flattered? Or frightened? I haven't quite decided.

So you see, I made the ultimate compromise last night. I let go of my fear and had a dog all up in my business for a few hours. Man-friend said I was a good sport. I mean, I suppose it was time that I at least try to like the dog, but I'm going to consider this a good compromise.

Man-friend owes me. Big time.

3 comments:

KK said...

I'm so proud of you!

Super Daysh said...

Go you Jen!! I'm so proud. I still need to meet man-friend. Let's do a double date!

erin said...

I hated dogs forever. Like, years. It took me about 3 years to like Lexi (our first dog). Now we have Nellie and although i still don't like her licking me, I like her a whole lot better than I liked dogs comparatively 10 years ago or so. You can do it!!

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...