Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sweet is the Peace

I’ve been thinking about the peace and safety that the gospel brings into our lives. It’s really been on my mind a lot lately, especially with some recent events that have happened around me. I know that it sounds really cliche and maybe even a bit naive, but the Gospel of Jesus Christ truly brings us safety. And that safety brings us peace of mind. That peace of mind allows us to live happily, despite sadness and heartache around us.

I teach the young women all the time that there is safety in following the commandments. I often get asked, “But why are the commandments so hard?” Or “Sometimes it just seems too restricting to follow all of the things we’ve been asked to do.” Or “There is a lot to remember – nobody’s perfect!” And I agree, there is a lot required of us as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But where much is given, much is required. I for one will take all that is required of me in order to have just a little bit of peace in my life.

To those on the outside, it might seem that the things I’m “giving up” are restricting my freedom. To some, the fact that I choose not to drink alcohol might seem like a silly choice that is only making it so I miss out on fun. However, I see it as the exact opposite. My choice not to do certain things, not to drink, not to smoke, not to “decorate” my body with tattoos, is actually giving me freedom that some will never now.

If I drink, I temporally lose my freedom – my freedom to think clearly, my freedom to drive a car without injuring another person, my freedom to know I’ll wake up with no regrets in the morning. If I don’t get a tattoo, I’m actually gaining the freedom to not have any regrets later on down the road. I gain the freedom of knowing I will never have to explain to my daughter how tattoos are trashy and will actually hurt her chances of getting a job sometime in the future while she looks at me and says, “But mom, you have a tattoo.”

So I’m thankful today for the freedom that comes from choosing to obey the commandments and to live a higher life. I’m thankful for the peace that comes from knowing my life is in order and that I can live without regret or fear.

2 comments:

mo12miller@gmail.com said...

Good post. I talked about obedience to the yw in our stake at standards night about it. I should send it to you.

Lori said...

A M E N! thanks for sharing!

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...