Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Thing about the Royal Wedding

I know there are really important things going on in the world today. I’m well aware that the world is going to a very hot place, and very quickly. I’m up on my current events and quite frankly, the fact that I realize that the Middle East is killing itself, the United States in going bankrupt, and gas prices went up 20 cents by my house in a week is honestly what makes me so excited to watch the Royal Wedding. Yes, I said it…I’m excited to watch the Royal Wedding.

Here’s the deal. Being a King, Queen, Princess, Duchess, or having any other royal title really doesn’t mean anything to me. I know that Queen Elizabeth has no real power and I get that William is more personable than Charles, but there’s just something magical and whimsical about a Royal Wedding. It’s the escape from everything that is going nuts in the world today. For a few hours, we can pretend that we are all “commoners” who have caught the eye of the future King of England. We can pretend that we are a part of a fairytale where choirs magically sing, people stop to wave at us for no apparent reason, and we are wearing the most beautiful dress in the world. And then, we are back to our reality.

I know that only like 2% of people in the US care about the Royal Wedding, but I’m not going to hide that I’m one of the 2% who does care…not because I think the Royal family is all that royal or that I live in a make-believe world. It’s just, that for a few hours, I can pretend that all is right in the world and Cinderella has finally found her prince charming.

Come on, who doesn’t want to live in a fairy-tale world, just for a moment or two? I’ll get back to saving the planet tomorrow after 7:00 am MDT.

3 comments:

erin said...

I just miss England. I'd be happy to go sit in Covent Garden for awhile...

Lori said...

I TOTALLY agree with you in everything you said!!!! I am excited to watch it...though I am DVRing it and watching it at a more appropriate hour!

(P.S. Mark P is in his ward bishopric. Did I tell you that already? I bet he is doing a fantastic job.)

Heather said...

Yeah, I loved it! I know everyone was complaining about all the hype, but when you watched it, it was magical. I've started to get mad at those who are dogging on it. Especially when they are huge disneyland fans. There is really no difference. It was a fairytale, only real life.
I just kept thinking about Kate. What a lucky girl to literally have her fairytale coming true.

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...