Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Age of a Tree

For all of you who participated in the "tree guessing game" thank you. Even you, SuperDaysh (even though you didn't guess the age). For the rest of you, I know you were playing in your hearts. Hehehe.

There were no winners in this game (although, if I would have announced a prize, would more people have played?). The real age of the tree is 8 1/2 years old. I just think that is incredible!

8 1/2 years ago, in the fall after my brother's wedding, my mom's friend gave her a twig. I kid you not, it was a twig, and told her if she planted this in the ground, it would grow to a big tree. We all laughed. Seriously, a twig. And it was October and starting to get cold. But my mom didn't want to hurt her friend's feelings, so she found a little spot in the backyard and stuck that little twig in the ground. 8 1/2 years later...that tree is taking over the backyard.

I, personally, love this tree. It's pretty and it provides lots of wonderful shade. Plus, I'm always rooting for the underdog. (Remember how I'm an LA Clippers fan? That's right, the underdog!) This tree reminds me that even when all odds are against you - weather, size, doubters - anything is possible.

Look at that...a lesson from the curling willow.

Thanks for playing!

3 comments:

Zachary said...

Yay! Now I can sleep tonight. Thank you!

And for the lesson too.

Lori said...

WOW- that is amazing! you would never expect that from a twig. maybe there is a learning lesson in that twig turning into a tree... like don't give up on anyone...you never know what they will turn into... maybe that is how heavenly father looks at us. or at least how we should look at others.

KMHansen said...

That's how the tree in our backyard was in 1982 when my parents had their reception. My Great Grandma and Grandpa Reid used to live in the house we do and it was just a twig. Now it's a huge tree in our back yard. That was 27 years ago! Gotta love trees. LOL

Blog Archive

About Me

a little bit sassy...